According to OceanGate, five “Titan” submarine passengers are no longer alive

OceanGate announced that the submarine’s passengers had died.

The company owned the unfortunate one Titan ship which disappeared on Sunday while diving to see the wreckage of the Titanic.

They announced the news in a press conference on Thursday, noting that they “deeply mourn this loss.” At the same time, they thanked those involved in the rescue since Sunday and asked for privacy for the family members of the deceased.

Read on to learn more.

“These men were real explorers”

OceanGate reveals five 'Titan' passengers dead: 'Sadly lost'

Based on People magazine, OceanGate has confirmed that all five passengers aboard its missing submarine, the Titan, are “sadly lost”.

On board the vehicle were Stockton Rush CEO Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding and Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

“These people were true explorers who shared a sense of adventure and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans,” the company said in a statement.

“Our hearts go out to these five souls and all of their families at this tragic time. We mourn the loss of life and the joy they brought to everyone they knew.”

OceanGate reveals five 'Titan' passengers dead: 'Sadly lost'

The statement, which noted that crew members “deeply mourn this loss,” also thanked those who helped locate the submarine.

It continued: “We appreciate your commitment to finding these five explorers and their tireless work for days in support of our crew and their families. This is a sad time for the entire explorer community and the families of those lost at sea.”

The Titan lost communication barely two hours before the dive

OceanGate reveals five 'Titan' passengers dead: 'Sadly lost'

On Sunday, the Titan began its descent into the North Atlantic at 4:00 a.m. on an expedition to view the final resting place of the famous Titanic.

About 1 hour 45 minutes into her dive, she “lost all contact” with her mother ship, the Canadian expedition ship Polar Prince, prompting a search.

It was hoped that the submersible would be discovered before its 96 hours of oxygen ran out. However, the level of air pressure at this depth raised concerns about whether the rescue would be successful.

Sadly, those fears were confirmed as a remote-controlled vehicle discovered a debris field near the Titanic on Thursday, as the US Coast Guard reported at a press conference.

Although no bodies were reported to have been found, the Coast Guard stated that “the debris is consistent with a catastrophic loss of pressure in the ‘Titan’ chamber,” which only confirmed the deaths of its occupants.

Experts have claimed that the Titan submarine’s chances of survival are low

OceanGate reveals five 'Titan' passengers dead: 'Sadly lost'

Prior to the discovery of the debris, several sources claimed that the survival chances of Titan’s inhabitants were hopeless. Daily Beast.

Among them is deep-sea rescue expert Butch Hendrick, who also believed that increasing the anxiety level of the submarine’s occupants would have depleted oxygen even faster.

While he acknowledged that the ship had a number of independent mechanisms that would have allowed it to refloat on its own, he insisted that if the salt water had short-circuited the electrical system, those mechanisms would have been rendered useless.

He also noted that the Titan never met international safety standards and was not equipped with a location beacon to help rescuers find it.

The ship’s safety has been criticized by several individuals who have previously used it for underwater missions. One revealed that they had suffered serious mishaps during the expeditions and called the most recent trip a “suicide mission”.

“It took so long to save them”

OceanGate reveals five 'Titan' passengers dead: 'Sadly lost'

The search for the affected vessel was a joint effort by the US Navy, the Canadian Navy and other well-intentioned professionals.

But a family member of British billionaire Hamish Harding, who was on board the ship, believed that the search had started too late.

He slammed OceanGate for waiting eight hours before reporting to authorities, despite being unable to communicate with the ship after landing.

“It’s very scary. It took so long for them to set out to save them; too long. I would have thought three hours was the minimum,” said the family member known as Kathleen Cosnett. Daily Mail.

Meanwhile, there is no word on the burial of the ship’s passengers, who reportedly paid $250,000 for the ill-fated voyage.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *